What are the requirements for studying at universities in Koblenz?

Requirements for admission at the universities:

  1. Certified proof of higher education entrance qualification (equivalent to German A-levels).
  2. Proof of German language skills.

The following tests are accepted as proof of your language skills:

  • German language test for university admission (=Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang, DSH),
  • Test of German as a foreign language (=Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache, TestDaF), at least Level 4,
  • German language diploma (=Deutsches Sprachdiplom) of Level II of the Kultusministerkonferenz,
  • Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung of the Goethe-Institute.

Which documents do I have to hand in to apply for a place to study?

  • Application form (completely filled in).
  • Certified copies of your high school reports that will document your higher education entrance qualification (e.g. A-levels, Baccalauréat, School-Leaving-Certificate, General Certificate of Education etc.). Please include related lists with individual grades and certificates of any university entrance tests, reports, overviews of grades or transcripts of your previous studies if you have already studied.
  • A copy of your German language exam (TestDaF Level 4, DSH, Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung Goethe-Institut, KMK-Diplom Stufe II).
  • A certified copy of your valid passport  (only the page that shows your personal data).
  • A copy of the deposit slip showing you have paid the fee.

ASSIST needs all documents as certified copies as well as certified German translations. Please do not send in any originals!

Where shall I send this application form to? What is the application deadline?

Uni-ASSIST needs to receive your application for admission until January 15th if you apply for a summer semester or July 15th if applying for a winter semester.

Please note: Educational residents or EU citicens will be treated like German citizens.

Where can I find the “Application Form”?

https://www.uni-koblenz-landau.de/de/international/dokumente/zulassungsantrag.pdf/view (Application Form for Admission to Studies for Foreign Applicants)

Do all copies need to be certified?

We only accept certified copies. To get a copy certified in Germany, you can go to the city administration, police office or a notary. We can not accept attestation clauses of insurance companies, student councils or churches.

In foreign countries, the following constitutions are entitled to certify your documents: German diplomatic missions and all authorities and notaries that are licenced to do so in your home country.

Which certificates are needed to proof my higher education entrance qualification?

To verify your higher education entrance qualification, we need copies of your high school diploma and if you have already studied in your home country, we also need copies of study reports including an overview of all grades and a list of test results.

Who examines whether my reports are equivalent to the German A-levels?

On behalf of the university Koblenz-Landau, ASSIST examines your reports and determines whether they are equal or whether you need to fulfill further requirements. The criteria used for determining if your reports are equal to the German A-levels are the same at any university in Germany. You can also use the data base of the DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst) to find out whether your entrance qualification will give you direct admission to a German university or whether you need to pass the assessment test before hand.

The data base Anabin will also provide information about requirements for university admission on http://anabin.kmk.org/.

What means direct admission (“direkter Hochschulzugang”)?

When ASSIST has determined that your reports are equivalent to the German A-levels, you can directly be granted admission to study. In any case you have to give proof of the required German language skills.

If a course of study is subject to entrance limitations, it may also depend on your average mark of your entrance qualification whether you are granted admission or not.

What is “Hochschulzugang über das Studienkolleg” (university admission via the Studienkolleg)?

If your reports are not equivalent to the German A-levels, you need to pass the assessment test before being granted admission. We offer to enrol appropriate study applicants at the Studienkolleg in Mainz as a preparation for this test. In general, the attendance of the Studienkollegs will take one year. There is only the Studienkolleg in Mainz that cooperates with all universities of Rhineland-Palatinate. Thus, it is not possible to attend the Studienkolleg in Koblenz or Landau.

Can I apply directly to the Studienkolleg?

No, you can't. You need to send your full application documents to the university at which you would like to study. The Studienkolleg in Mainz will only offer you a place if you have been granted conditional admission for a course of study at a university and if you have also passed the assessment test at the Studienkolleg Mainz.

Application forms should be handed in to the Universität Koblenz-Landau via ASSIST by January 15th and July 15th.

Which application form should I use to apply for the Studienkolleg?

Please use the application form “Application Form for Admission to Studies for Foreign Applicants”.

How much German do I need to know if I have to attend the Studienkolleg?

Since you will improve your language skills by attending the Studienkolleg only basic skills are required:

Certificate German as a foreign language (“Deutsch als Fremdsprache”) of the Goethe-Instituts with a grade of “gut” (B) or better or a certificate of the graduation of a middle school of another institute (language school) or the test German as a foreign language (“Deutsch als Fremdsprache”) Level 3.

See also Requirements to Study at the University Koblenz-Landau: German Language Skills.

Can I take the DSH exam at the University Koblenz-Landau?

We do not offer a DSH exam at the University Koblenz-Landau. We suggest all study applicants take the test of German as a foreign language (TestDaF).

Where can I take the test of German as a foreign language (TestDaF)?

This test can be taken at the "Zentrum für Fernstudien und universitäre Weiterbildung" (ZFUW) of the University of Koblenz!

Web: https://www.uni-koblenz-landau.de/en/usz/test-and-language-certificates/testdaf/
Email: testdaf@uni-koblenz.de
Information about test centres worldwide: http://www.testdaf.de/

How should I prepare for the test of German as a foreign language (TestDaF)?

German language courses are offered by the “Zentrum für universitäre Weiterbildung” of the University of Koblenz but will cost a fee.

Can I enrol at the university after attending their German language courses?

No. Simply by attending these courses you will not be granted admission to study. You can only enrol as a student when you have met all requirements (higher education entrance qualification and proof of German language skills).

Where will I find information about entry and stay requirements and visas?

The German counsil or diplomatic mission of your home country can provide you with information about requirements for a visa for study purposes. It is important that you do not enter Germany using a tourist visa because it can not be transferred into a visa for study purposes afterwards! To get a visa for study purposes you need to be granted admission to a Studienkolleg or a university. If you do not have your admission to study, yet, you can apply for a visa for study applicants first. This as well as the visa for study purposes is valid for three months and within three months of your arrival it will be changed into a residence permit for study purposes at the foreigners’ registration office, when you start studying.

Being an Au Pair in Germany, can I start studying already?

No, you can't. The purpose of your stay is explicitly stated on your visa and so you can only use the time of your stay as an Au Pair. Please inform yourself about how you can apply for a visa for study purposes at the city counsil or the foreigners' registration office of the city you live in.

Can I get visa if I will take a language course in Germany?

If you are planning to take a language course in order to prepare for studies, you need to say so when applying for a visa. You need to apply for a language visa or a visa for study applicants for this purpose of stay.

Further information (“Information on the Statutory Frameworks applicable to Entry and Residence by Foreign Students, Academics and Scientists” [PDF]) is given on the pages of the DAAD.

How do I get information about the possibilities to study at the University Koblenz-Landau?

The study counsil will provide information about study courses, admission procedures or combination of study courses:

Study counsil (Allgemeine Studienberatung) of the University in Koblenz
Study adviser: Petra Meinerz
Room no. 31, Emil-Schüller-Str. 12, Koblenz
Consultation hours: Tu 10am–1pm, We 2pm–5pm, Th 10am–1pm.
Information by phone: Fr 10am–12am.
Phone: 0261-2871751
Email: meinerz@uni-koblenz-landau.de

What is there to do once I’ve been granted admission?

You need to find accomodation since the university does not administer any residential homes. So, you contact the providers of residential homes on your own to apply for a room. For more information go to “Accomodation”.

Is it possible to pay for the social contribution fee from abroad?

In general, you can. Bank transfers in Euro are no problem. If the payment can not be done in Euro, your bank will determine the amount of money you need to pay in your currency including extra charges. Of course, the easiest way is to transfer the fee from a German bank account.

Where do I get further information about the application procedure for foreign study applicants?

If you have any further questions after browsing through the information on this page, you can address yourself to Mrs. Holstein:

Can I apply for a scholarship?

The University Koblenz-Landau does not award scholarships. To find information about ways of funding your studies in Germany, you can go to the pages of the DAAD: https://www.daad.de/deutschland/de/

When should I arrive?

In general your studies will begin in the middle of April or October. So, arriving in Germany the month before you start is not necessary, since the rooms are not available until the first of April or October. If you wish to arrive earlier, you need to stay in a hotel or hostel and budget for extra accomodation expenses.