Requirements to Study at the University Koblenz-Landau

If ou have a high school diploma from another country (high school diploma, A-Levels, Baccalaureat etc.) and you would like to apply for admission into basic courses of studies at the University of Koblenz?

Before sending in the application form to our university it has to be determined whether you meet the two basic criteria “proof of higher education entrance requirement” and “necessary knowledge of the German language”. This assessment can be taken through the German institution “uni-assist”.

Please, send your application form together with authenticated copies of your documents (high school diploma, university certificates, proof of language skills) to the Arbeits- und Servicestelle für ausländische Studienbewerbungen uni-assist e.V.

Address for applications through uni-assist:

Universität Koblenz-Landau
c/o uni-assist e.V.
Geneststraße 5
D-10829 Berlin

If you meet the criteria, uni-assist will redirect your application to the University of Koblenz. The university will then approve or reject your application. The above process applies to:

  • Applicants who have recieved their higher education entrance qualification (high school diploma, A-Levels, Baccalaureat etc.) abroad and who want to apply to basic courses of study (Bachelor, Master, Diplom) at the University of Koblenz.

The procedure does not apply to:

  • Exchange students from partner universities (Erasmus, Bilateral Agreement) and scholarship holders (DAAD, Fulbright etc.). These parties are asked to apply directly at the foreign office of the university. Further information and the application form are found on:
  • Applicants who have taken their A-Levels in Germany (educational residents).
  • Applicants with proof of a successfully taken assessment test of any German Studienkolleg
  • Applicants who have got an appraisal notification of the Aufsichts- und Dienstleistungsdirektion (ADD) Trier (
  • Applicants who have got an appraisal notification of the Johannes-Gutenberg-Universität Mainz

Applicants from any of the groups mentioned above need to send their application and their documents directly to the Student’s office in Koblenz or Landau. You can find information and the application form on the following site:

For further questions contact the International Office of the University of Koblenz:

Mrs. Holstein-Alter
Tel.: +49 (0)261 287-1764

Foreign High School Diplomas

General information about educational qualifications from a specific country by which you intend to study in Germany can be found in a summary presented by the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service).

You will find detailed information about higher education entrance qualifications of your country on the pages of the “Central Department for Foreign Education”. There you can choose your country and then click “reports” to read about the appropriate assessment proposal.

Higher Education Entrance Qualification

… are for example the A-levels or anything equivalent. To validate your entrance qualification, the University of Koblenz needs to be given copies of your high school diploma and if you have already studied in your home country, they also need copies of your study reports (including an overview of all grades and a listing of all test results).

German Language Skills

To be granted permission to study at the University of Koblenz, it is required that your German language skills are on a high level. Your skills must be proven by taking the test “German as a Foreign Language” (TestDaF – TDN 4) or an equivalent test (Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung Goetheinstitut, German Language Diploma Level DSD II or DSH). Without the required German language test you will not be granted permission to study.

The test “German as a Foreign Language” can be taken at centers worldwide:

The University of Koblenz does not offer a DHS (German Language Test for Foreign Study Applicants). Therefore, we recommend that all applicants take the test “German as a Foreign Language” (TestDaF)! The Center for University Further Training (ZFUW) of the University of Koblenz is a licensed test center for the test “German as a Foreign Language” (TestDaF) and will run the TestDaF. Additionally it offers preparation courses for the TestDaF.

Use different educational materials and practice specifically for separate parts of the TestDaF.

For further information about course dates or TestDaF exam dates in Koblenz, see:

Email (languages):
Email (TestDaF):
Tel.: +49 (0)261 287-1540

Other accepted tests of German language skill are:

  • German language diploma of the Conference of Ministers of Education (level II)
  • Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung of the Goethe-Institut

Authenticated Copies

The University of Koblenz only accepts certified copies. In Germany you may go to the city administration office, the police office or to a notary. Any other authentications, e.g. from insurance companies, student councils or churches, are not accepted.

The following institutions are allowed to certify your copies abroad: The diplomatic mission of the Republic of Germany and all authorities and notaries that are entitled to certify in your home country.

Bachelor, Diploma, State Examination, Master

Bachelor is the name for a first academic degree of an ordinary (and usually applied) course of studies in the USA or Europe. Currently, due to the Bologna process in many countries of Europe, the traditional study courses are being replaced by Bachelor and Master courses. Generally a Bachelor’s will take between six and eight semesters (three to four years). After this you may decide to top it with a Master’s degree or in few cases you can even start a PhD. Despite the same title, however, there are differences between the American and  European Bachelor degrees. (Wikipedia)

In Germany, besides the “Magister”, the Diploma is the most popular academic degree students can graduate with. Another German degree you can take at a university is the State Examination. It is basically not connected to any academic degree but treated as equal. The German Diploma is structured in two phases: The Grundstudium (basic studies, generally takes four semesters) which finishes with the so called Vordiplom and the Hauptstudium (main studies, four to six semesters).

After finishing your Diploma at a university (with good or very good marks) you may continue on with a PhD. This does not apply to a Diploma taken at a Berufsakademie (university of cooperative education) though because their Diploma is not considered to be an academic degree. At the conference frm the Minister of Education on December 12th, 2003 the following decision was made: Bachelor and Master degrees are stand-alone university degrees qualifying for a profession. Integration of a Bachelor’s degree into a Diploma course is impossible just like awarding a Master’s degree only based on a successful graduation in a Diploma. Therefore graduates of Bachelor degrees generally have the same qualification as graduates of a Diploma taken at a HS. Consecutive Master degrees offer the same qualification as Diploma of Magister degrees taken at universities. (Wikipedia)

A Master’s degree in Germany is the second academic degree students can graduate with. A Master’s degree usually takes one or two years of studying full-time. To start a Master’s course requires at a least the graduation of a Bachelor’s degree. At the moment graduates of traditional studies (Magister, Diploma, State Examination) often apply for a Master’s course, too. Depending on the orientation of the Master’s course, it can be useful to deepen one’s knowledge gained in the previous degree or to conclude new fields of knowledge. Many Master courses are restricted for admission. (Wikipedia)


If your reports are not equivalent or comparable to a German higher education entrance qualification (A-levels) you have to take the assessment test before you can get an aproval to study. For preparation for this test we can book suitable candidates who have applied at the university Koblenz-Landau before hand in for the entrance exam at the Studienkolleg in Mainz. We will forward your documents to the Studienkolleg because a direct application to the Studienkolleg is not possible.

The reason for the Studienkolleg to prepare for the test and usually takes one year. This is only offered in Mainz and not in Koblenz.