What visa is required by foreign students?

No Visa

Foreign students from EU member countries as well as citizens from Andorra, Australia, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Canada, Korea, Liechtenstein, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland and the USA do not require a visa to study in Germany.

Citizens of the nationalities mentioned above can enter Germany without a visa though intending to study they require a residence permit for study purposes. They need to apply for this permit to the foreigners' office within three months of their arrival.

Stadtverwaltung Koblenz Ordnungsamt/Ausländerbehörde
Ludwig-Erhard-Straße 2
56073 Koblenz

Opening hours:
Mo, Tu, Th, Fr: 8 am – noon
We: 8am – 12.30pm and 1.30pm – 4pm


Those whose home country is not a member of the EU and not listed above are required a visa in order to study in Germany.
There are two different kinds of visa in Germany:

To be able to study in Germany, you need the national visa. There are three different kinds of national visa:

  • a language course visa (Sprachkursvisum) which cannot be changed into a student visa afterwards 
  • a study applicant's visa (Studienbewerbervisum) which is valid for three months if you haven't already obtained your admission to study. This visa needs to be changed immediately into a residence permit for study purposes once you have been granted permission to study. In order to do so, please go to the Foreigners' office (Ausländeramt).
  • the visa for study purposes which is valid for one year. To get this visa, you need proof of the German university that you have been given admission and proof of sufficient financial support

Visa for Language Courses (“Sprachkursvisum”)

To study in Germany, you need to meet certain requirements. One of which is a German language test. If you plan to take the language test in Germany you need to request a visa for language courses. This visa allows you to study the language in Germany and take the required DSH test or TestDaF afterwards. You can only get this visa in your home country at the German embassy or consulate. The consulate or embassy responsible can be located on

Visa for Study Applicants (“Studienbewerbervisum”)

When you get a visa for study applicants in your home country, it will be valid for three months only. Once in Germany, you will have the possibility to extend it for a further six months at the Foreigners’ Registration Office. Thus you can only stay in Germany for a total of nine months using this visa. In case you visit a “Studienkolleg”, the amount of time is limited to two years.

IMPORTANT! If you enter Germany with a tourist visa, it can not be changed to a visa for study applicants. Thus, you would have to return to your home country to apply for the visa for study applicants there.

An application for a visa for study applicants usually requires the following documents:

  • a valid passport,
  • passport photos,
  • higher education entrance qualification that is recognized in Germany (like A-Levels or equivalent),
  • certificates of your studies up to now,
  • proof of financial sources that will last at least one year.

Visa for Study Purposes

Please take care of you visa for study purposes at least three months prior to departure. As soon as you are granted permission to study by the University of Koblenz you should apply for the visa at the embassy or consulate. To do so you will also need proof of your finances, because you need to show that you are able to pay for your studies.

When you apply for the visa in your home country you need to show a credit balance of 10,332 € (as of July 2021). This sum is needed to pay for your study and stay for at least one year. It is equal to the monthly amount of 861 € which you will need being student in Germany.

With every renewal of your residence permit proof of finance is needed again. The validity period of your residence permit amongst others depends the period which can be covered by money you prove.

Do not enter Germany with a tourist visa since it will be impossible to immatriculate being a tourist!

Visa After Studies

Students who have fully graduated in Germany are able to extend their residential permit for study purposes for a period of up to one year. In this time they are give the chance to find employment appropriate for their degree.

Any issues concerning visas can be addressed to the Foreigners’ Office in Koblenz.